Search This Blog

14 August 2013

I’m Running the Berlin Marathon – and THIS IS MY UPSET FACE!!!


Hey there followers of the Musings! No, I won’t show you my upset face. Maybe I will. I haven’t decided yet. Because it’s really upset. YES, I am running the Berlin Marathon at the end of September of this year. YES, I will be in Munich, London, Liverpool, and Edinburgh shortly thereafter to round out a Euro-Trip or Euro-Trippy Proportions. YES, I have been preparing for this for nearly a year. YES, this is a critical time for the training where my long runs are longer than I’ve ever run before. AND YES, I have a first degree sprain of my MCL on my left knee.

WHAT?!??!?

Yeah… that. I did something stupid and tweaked it playing softball (I DON’T PLAY SOFTBALL!!??! Well, ok, it’s been 5 years, but still), and there I am, doing the right-field thing (expecting to watch the dandy-lions grow), when BAM, some lefty smacks a worm-burner my direction. I run after it, down the slope that leads to the fence, bare-hand the ball, turn, throw to second, bam-bam, the runner is out! WOO-HOO!!! Oh, did I mention that’s where I sprained my knee ligament?

According to THIS ARTICLE :

***************************
Grade I MCL treatment The first degree of MCL ligament injury rehab usually lasts 1 - 2 weeks and is done by resting from the activity and using the RICE method which stands for Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. Using the anti-inflammatory medicine is required to get rid of the swelling more quickly and doing some of the knee exercises explained at the end of this article will help with mobility and strengthening of the MCL ligament. This first degree MCL injury will keep an athlete away from the sport for about 2 weeks.
****************************


 So… that’s what I am doing. THE BRIGHT SIDE… I met a couple new running buddies and coaches this week who are going to help me rehab right and then get back on the training horse as quickly, safely and effectively as possible! Well kids, I think that’s about it…. Wish me luck with recovery!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. dude good luck on a speedy recovery. that totally sucks man! hopefully you can get back out there soon and give em hell in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete

Yes you can leave comments. I encourage it. But I refuse to allow comments from that "Anonymous" person...

You got something to say? Put your name to it!