Search This Blog

31 December 2012

A Look Back at 2012 - For Better or Worse


Greetings Musers and Musettes, and welcome to the Musings of BradK look back at 2012 (for better or worse - no relation to the comic strip).

 There's been scan little blogging by the BradK this year, and though there ARE reasons for that, they aren't that important, and quite frankly, they're more like excuses, not reasons, so let's move on.

 2012 started off like any year... in the Emergency Room... at the Children's Hospital. Yes, only 10 days into his young life, my little Nugget has himself a bad staph infection (MRSA) that had him hospitalized and subjected to a series of tests and treatments that I for one am SO GLAD he will never remember. So after three days of not REALLY resting at all.... My little guy has been, and continues to be the best thing in the whole wide world ever to me.

 What? Some pictures? Well, ok....











Well, there's the little nugget now!!! He's so cute isn't he???!?

As much as 2012 was all about him... and trust me, anything important in 2012 was important, but little-dude trumped that every time...

Other things also happened in the world...

I think I voted in 4821 different elections this year... primaries... generals... recalls... recall primaries... recall recalls... cola taste tests... you name it. 

Once again, the divisiveness of politics (especially in Wisconsin) has reared an ugly head. I was more than a little saddened to read about friends and families having falling-outs due to political disagreements. Passions for politics over family or friendship???!? So sad... The "new civility" that was touted after the horrible events when Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot turned out to be no more than a sound bite, while "mainstream" elements of both major political parties used vulgar, harsh and violent language to further their cause. Yuck. I once had a mind to get into local politics a little bit... be a "regular guy" who wanted to affect change... but that idea is on hold right now. IF such a time were to come that I would see the environment be less hostile to competing ideas, I might re-approach the idea. 



2012 was a year of paying off some old debts, and opening up some new ones. A couple trips to the ER helped on that front (myself and the aforementioned Little-Nugget trip on 1/1/12). But more importantly, personal debts were both opened and closed this year as well. Some debts will require time and heavy lifting on my side to satisfy, while others have been closed with a kind word, a hug, and back to business as friends.

I suppose a part of life is figuring out how to get it right, and sometimes getting it right means learning by getting it wrong. And sometimes getting it wrong can be downright painful. So as I look back at 2012 and some things I got wrong, all I know is I need to fix what I broke (if fixable), and use the experience to not break things in the future. Maybe I can figure out how to do it by example so my little guy can see that in me as he grows up.

2012 was a year of continued and constant healthy initiatives for BradK... having run hundreds (literally) of miles this year, including 4 half-marathons. Although I am not "dieting" specifically, I am still working on being aware of what I am eating to make sure that it's a good balance of relatively healthy food. I have also coked a lot more this year than in the past, relying on fresh ingredients and vegetables more than ever, and incorporating a little more non-red-meat into the mix. My favorite part is when the little guy (always comes back to him, doesn't it?) started being able to eat "whatever" and he could taste-test my cooking. He usually approved. And if he didn't, well, hey, the doggy got another treat!



2012 included a bit of a corporate crisis. Personally, I have felt less and less satisfaction with working for the company, without being able to find an outlet for outreach and giving back. Not that my job is bad or I dislike it, in fact the opposite is true. But I have been looking for an outlet (I'm dying trying to find it... inside joke), and I may have run across something that I can do to satisfy that need of mine in the next coming year... stay tuned Musers and Musettes.... 

Facebook, Ipads, Twitters, Googles and Amazons... 2012 was tech heavy. More communication via social networks and interwebs, less interpersonal contact. Maybe that's an overstatement. I would say that these tools give us "broad" friendships with many people, but do not help create "deep, lasting" friendships or relationships. I would cite a few exceptions, but I think they prove the rule. It's a new age / era with its own positives and negatives. It will be interesting to watch in the future and as a new parent, try to understand the way social technologies integrate into childhood development. I would hate for my little-guy to have 1000 "friends" he's never met, and be lacking in the "true friend" department as a kid. One of the benefits of schooling is clearly the social aspect. But even schools are leaning more and more on technology... It will be worth keeping my eyes on.

Speaking of friends... BradK is hap-hap-happy to say that he's been able to re-connect with some dear friends, and make even more new ones through yet another shared passion.... SOCCER!!! As odd as it may sound, the last couple years (and 2012 in particular) has been GREAT for forging new friends with fellow soccer-nuts (even if some are ManU fans.... I can put that behind me), and the trips to Portland and Columbus to follow the US Men's National Team and the Portland Timbers (in opposite order) were great opportunities to shore up some existing friendships with two people that I count myself blessed and lucky to have in my life and call friend! Reconnecting with a college professor in Portland was icing on that cake as well!!! (And I have to admit, running on the Nike HQ Running Track in the rain... one of my favorite memories of 2012!!! What? You want a picture??? Well....)


Yes, I know, that's too many sexy legs in one picture..... Hold yourself back... This same trip also included a hike up Saddle Mountain, and a visit to the seaside where the "Goonies Rocks" are (you may recall they are the Rocks where Chester Copperpot stashed his booty. Hehe... I said "booty...")




2012 included some bucket-list items as well... for example... I jumped out of an airplane. Twice. Thankfully, I had a parachute and trained tandem jumper attached to my back both times. So freaking exhilarating, and yes, I will do it again. I may even in the next few years save some sheckles to get A-Level Certified. It's expensive, but very awesome.



2012 saw the marriages of two awesome people to two other awesome people in ceremonies that were so stinkin' specific to them and their relationships!!! I have very much enjoyed the "personalized" weddings I've been lucky enough to see in the last couple years!!! 

2012 also saw my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary, my grandfather's 80th birthday, my great-grandfather's 100th birthday, and my little nugget was able to be there for all of it! Well here's a pic of my little-nugget and his 100 year old Great-Great-Grandpa...


And here's 5 generations of family!!!!!



As I look forward to 2013, I can only surmise that it again will be mostly about the little nugget, and also a balance of personal priorities and shared goals among friends and family... No one can see the future, but it is more than a little true that the future is mostly what you make of it. What you put into something seems to be what you get out of it. I hope to be a better person, continuously improving on myself by learning from mistakes, and building on successes, and most importantly be the best daddy I can possibly be.



5 comments:

  1. Yay for soccer! I'm hoping we give you something new to support in 2013 and would invite you to become involved in what we want to bring this community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my eyes on your initiative sir... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go on Soccer trips. - Ruben

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Yes you can leave comments. I encourage it. But I refuse to allow comments from that "Anonymous" person...

You got something to say? Put your name to it!